The Chesterfield Fire Department was established in 1926 by local businessmen Ward Keener and Walter “Pic” Vasbinder. Both men lobbied other local businessmen to found the first fire department in Chesterfield. The men pooled enough money to purchase the Town’s first fire engine, a 1926 Ford Model T equipped with a copper tank, piston pump and featured chain driven rear wheels. It was decided that Mr. Keener would serve as the departments first fire chief. Chief Keener also owned a local ice cream shop on main street between Washington and Water streets where the Model T was housed. The Sterling Siren from the 1926 Model T is preserved on Station 50's history wall. In the 1940's the department became known as the Chesterfield Volunteer Fire Department. In the 1960's an ambulance service was added by the department to serve the citizens. In 1994 the Chesterfield Volunteer Fire Department disbanded and the Chesterfield-Union Twp Fire Department emerged. Through pride and integrity our department has grown into what it is today. Like many departments we are proud of our history and strive to better our department everyday.
Why Yellow Fire Trucks?
In the mid 1970's Madison County assigned all county fire departments certain colors so they would be easily identifiable on mutual aid scenes. CUTFD was assigned yellow and it has stuck ever since. The county has gone away from the coloring system, but many departments still paint their apparatus the color they were assigned. Just one of a few traditions CUTFD has kept through the years.